Thursday, February 21, 2008

fun with self diagnosis

  • Inability to discard items
  • Acquiring unneeded or seemingly useless items
  • Keeping stacks of newspapers, magazines or junk mail
  • Cluttered living spaces
  • Impairment of daily activities
  • Procrastination
  • Trouble making decisions
  • Perfectionism
  • Difficulty organizing items
  • Forming attachments to possessions rather than people
  • Restricting others from touching or borrowing possessions

Uh oh. According to the mayo clinic, I exhibit many of the classic signs and symptoms of hoarding. The clinic's website says that hoarders "often spend lots of time moving items in their home from one pile to another without actually discarding anything" or as I call it, "spring cleaning." So this weekend I am setting a completley unrealistic goal for myself: only have one of each thing. I don't mean clothes -- everyone knows that when you find a pair of jeans that fit you're required by law to purchase three pairs -- I mean crap like pots and pans and umbrellas and vacuums (yes, I have two vacuums; and yes, if you have ever seen my carpet you know how ironic that is. Oh wait, I have no carpet; even more ironic). Do you think that if I get rid of all my stuff I will no longer procrastinate or have trouble making decisions? God I hope so, because I've got lots of important decisions to make, like what to eat for dinner and whether I should bring a sweater to work because it sometimes gets drafty in the office.


2 comments:

In case you wondered said...

"It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh. I stopped halfway to go toss some stuff.

Jill said...

Megan beat me to the comment. I started on my garage halfway through page 2. I LOVE to throw away other people's stuff. Ask Mason. Call me for help if you need it.