Monday, June 23, 2008

so you think you can emote?

A strange thing has been happening since I let my talky-doctor talk me into "processing my feelings," which involves things like answering the question "how does that make you feel?" with something other than the word "fine" and saying the phrase "processing my feelings" without involuntarily rolling my eyes. Anyway, the strange thing that happens is that I get all weepy and emotional when I watch modern and contemporary dance. It started in New York when I watched the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater perform Revelations and noticed big tears rolling down my face. I wasn't sad, I was moved. It was an unnamed emotion, but I was feeling it. Take that, talky-doctor! Anyway, it wasn't a fluke. I cried when I watched the video for 1,2,3,4 and when I saw each of the following performances on the (you would think more lowbrow) So You Think You Can Dance -- my new summer obsession.







No comments: